LEARNING JOURNALS POLICY STATEMENT- August 2015
- To use the Learning Journals online personal learning plan system to enhance the teaching and learning of all areas of the curriculum.
- To track and monitor the experiences and outcomes covered at early level.
- To maintain children’s privacy whilst the system is in use.
- To actively involve parents with the children’s learning.
Under no circumstances should login details be shared. Login details are considered to be:
- PIN Number
Staff and management must not use Learning Journals whilst logged in on another account. They must only use Learning Journals while logged into their own account.
Access and permissions
Nursery practitioner access to Learning Journals
The senior management team of Cramond Primary are responsible for allowing staff access to Learning Journals.
Access is granted through the Learning Journals configuration screen. The email address used for a staff account must be managed responsibly.
If staff access their Learning Journals account from outside the nursery they are responsible for maintaining privacy of their account.
Parent access to Learning Journals
The senior management team or nursery teacher grants parent’s access to Learning Journals.
It is the responsibility of the senior management team and nursery teacher to ensure that the correct child profile is attached to each parent account.
Child access to Learning Journals
Child access should be supervised in accordance with the Nursery Internet Usage Policy.
Staff and management accounts are equipped with “child view” function. This function is to be enabled if children are left to browse profiles on their own. At all other times a member of staff must supervise children’s use of Learning Journals.
If permission has not been given by a parent for images of their child to be shared then they must not be included in photo evidence for observations of other children.
If another child is present in the photograph whose parents have not given permission then the photograph must not be uploaded to Learning Journals, or the faces of irrelevant children must be obscured electronically prior to uploading.
Faults with Learning Journals
In the event that Learning Journals develops a fault which compromises the security of the privacy of the child profile the following procedure should be followed:
- Log out of the Learning Journals account.
- Inform management of the fault.
- Management will then inform Learning Journals by telephone and give a description of the fault.
- Learning Journals will not be used until the fault can be confirmed to have been rectified by a member of Learning Journals staff.
- Parents are to be informed and updated accordingly.